Easiest rice & beans
I'm a huge sucker for cheap, fast meals starring a mélange of salty ingredients—especially when one of them was born into the pork family, of which I consider myself an honorary member (overly formal grammaarrian/non-vegetarian syntaxx alert).
- Buy yourself a box of yellow rice. I don't care what kind. Prepare per the directions on the box—this rice won't make itself.
- Halfway through the whole rice cooking process, add a (drained) can of black beans to the pot. Unlike the high-maintenance rice, they'll know what to do.
- Whilst the rice and beans get cozy, slice and fry up a small chorizo link in a dash or two of olive oil.
- In your spare time, chop some Italian parsley and a couple of scallions in accordance with the recent nutritional diktat of the good people @ the New York Times.
- When the rice/beans/chorizo seem fully cooked, toss them together in a bowl and artfully arrange the chopped greens on top: they are the satin bedsheets to the Marilyn Monroe of your savory main dish.
- Stir in a few chunks of creamy delicious goat cheese.
- Smother all of the above in Cholula Hot Sauce. Keep going keep going keep going stop.
- EAT, you crazy bastards.
- p.s. The next time I whip this up I'll probably add some stupid spinach. Adulthood is the worst.