My job until I find a job is to A) find a job and B) post something here at least once a day.* A) will require most of my effort and care starting next week, but I assigned B) to myself just this minute, on the fly, since I am practicing spontaneity (and clearly succeeding!) and because it seems important to capture this weird and destabilizing time in my life so that I may one day take lessons from it. Will I be successful? Who knows! Will I ever find a job? Who can say! If I were a fortune teller I would not be in this pickle in the first place.
*Some if not all/most of these posts will be terrible, since I will transcribe them straight to the blog from my brain, but life is hard for all of us. That's why they call it "life" and not "beer."
[sidenote: I bought a bag of pickle-flavored popcorn at Trader Joe's today, another whim. It was the top 10 worst things I have ever put in my mouth, a list that before today didn't exist and now consists only of this popcorn.]
I read this NY Mag article "How to Be Happy" on Monday, and as with all self-care directives it recommends keeping a daily gratitude journal, under the theory that simple mindful gratitude can improve one's mental, spiritual, and physical health. Although I generally avoid propositions that could be found on motivational posters in orthodontist offices, I—as I may previously have mentioned—currently have some time on my hands to devote to all manner of hokum and ’witchcraft. So here are five things I'm grateful for today:
- In praise of extreme moderation by Avivah Wittenberg-Cox at HBR: "How do you put balance into practice? First, we each have to define it for ourselves. I personally like Aristotle’s outline: 'something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for.' ”
- Typing this blog post from my apartment balcony while fish jump around in the pond before me. Rage, rage against the dying of the light! Or maybe they think they are frogs.
- That I have not yet fallen prey to the email scammers promising me free khaki Dockers or luxury cruises on the Baltic Sea
- Caity Weaver on Kim Cattrall on podcasts
- This tweet from Kelly Corrigan, because I fave anything related to George Saunders